Saturday 3 September 2016

AFRICAN AMERICAN TRAVELS OVER 13 AFRICAN CIOUNTRIES BY ROAD



Africa
I've seen your many Tribes
The great temples of Nubia
Dinka of Sudan
Garre and Borana of Moyale
Wollo of Ethiopia
Chagga of Kilimanjaro
San of South Africa and Namibia
Moors of Mali
Samburu of Turkana
I celebrated Eid and celebrated Iftar out of respect.
I participated in Ramadan
I touched the shoulder blades of another as we greeted one another for the first time ever.
I hitchhiked a truck from Namibia to South Africa with a father of 3 who shared food, chocolates, and fruit plus a bunk space in his 2 bunk sleeper trailer.
I've heard your many beautiful and unique languages
I've seen the beauty of your wildlife that thrives and nourish the lands.
I've had the opportunity of sharing many meals with your lifelong indigenous family who knew nothing about me other than I was their kin from another mother and we ate from one plate as family .
I learned the truth about Rwanda's Genocide and the true crooks behind it all.
I've seen complexions transition from brown, obsidian black to cobalt blue and everything in between those hues.
I've climbed your majestic mountains Kilimanjaro and Erta Ale although the both of them tried to kill me together separately 3 times however, the act of death was shutout by Kilimanjaro's greatest porters( I told them that I promised VM ReedJones that I would be climbing for her after she made that announcement in the Tribe 2 years ago)constantly checked me for hunger and dehydration as the Afar's of Afar stared death mightily in the eye as it tried to win me over in that 140 degree morning.
I've seen the great acts of your families constantly feeding me, making sure that I got where I needed, and comforting me with kind words as I crossed the many boundaries solo.
You welcomed Tony my spiritual travel mate as I showed him the beauty of your topography one mile when we connected that late May evening in Nairobi before I interred him overlooking the great Pyramids in Giza.
I've met my third mama in Botswana who took me all around Kasane as she seen me lug around my backpack along the border road that hot morning fatigued and tired from partying the before night in Zimbabwe .
I ate , smoked, and chewed Khat with Ethiopians , Somalis, Sudanese the media paints them all as terrorists however, their acts of humanity and love for life shown me that it's a big fear mongering lie. Good people painted with blame and shame for a few bad apples.
I never felt unsafe as I crossed your rivers, mountains, and lakes.
You allowed me to save two women from an attempted failed carjacking in Johannesburg.
You've shown me the start of the Sahara
You've shown me the start of the Nubian desert
You've shown me the Namib Desert
You've shown me Marsabit
You've shown me the Nile from Zambia, Uganda, Ethiopia, Sudan, and Egypt.
You shown me the truth that the travel advisories, belittling forums and media don't show.
You taught me how to speak Swahili, Amharic, and Arabic to the point where I can have a conversation and bargain fluently in all three languages and expatriates who've been living in the vicinity for years are left in suspense on how quick I picked up.
You taught me that money isn't everything
Your FAMILIES taught me that love for fellow happiness and love means more than what money could ever do in fact most of the people I met don't care about MONEY.
You taught me so much ... too much for just one post.
A Thursday night 9 months ago, I set out to head on a flight to start a 12,197 mile journey around the continent of Africa FULLY OVERLAND ...New Year's eve while the city was rushing to see the ball drop I was in an Uber rushing to catch the last flight of the year to the beautiful continent I fell in love with during my debut visit in 2013. Very few people knew about my plan and one in particular knew about the itinerary a year in advance ( Kenna ). I set off to do the unthinkable, I set off to prove the media wrong, and prove the school books wrong. I set off to do the unknown with $5000 in cash and $1500 in reserves offsite held by a close family member one unlocked phone, one bag, two feet, no reservations Anywhere, no prior research, faith, curiosity, and love.
I decided to backpack Africa because it's quite unknown for a person of my color(mostly done by whites if that in plush accommodations lacking cultural interaction ) well as being backpacked. I decided to show the world that I could do both while showing the true beauty that's very well missed in the books and media.
This is the preface of my dreams and story that became true. 12,197 miles , 13 African countries , 8 months and 24 days later.
It's been a week since I've been here and the culture shock is severely real( I've been hiding away from people and social media to kinda adjust..this place is crazy ). I wore my Macawis and Kefiyyeh in honor of the Afars who saved my life through song and life reviving.. This is the traditional garb for them.
The journey continues. Thanks for your support.

I DID IT. THE MEDIA SAID I WOULD BE KILLED... THEY DIDN'T KNOW THAT I WOULD BE LOVED WITH OPEN ARMS. ..... AFRICANS ARE EXTREMELY LOVING PEOPLE. ..

No comments:

Post a Comment